- How to Survivify: Being Laid Off
So, you are joining the ranks of the unemployed and the job seeking. While looking for a job is a full time job, and it doesn't pay well, there are a few perks to your jobless status so make the most of it. As you are scouring the online and offline world for gainful employment, take time to plot revenge, I mean network with sympathetic folks (usually other former employees) and consider that age-old question - what do you want to be when you grow up?
Having successfully avoided this question, some of us do find this to be quite a disturbing query to ponder. But now that we all have to work into our 70s, let's face it, it is probably as good a time as any to come up with something at least a little entertaining to do with the majority of our waking hours. And with that we invite you read and share some tips and useful items to get you through this, more or less, temporary lull in your income generating capacity.
Look on the bright side:
- You get to sleep in...every day.
- No lines at the grocery store if you shop at 2 in the afternoon... or 2 in the morning for that matter.
- Two words: more TV. (Hopefully you already own a TiVO, but if you don't, imagine how many more commercial jingles you will learn - Excellent!)
- Meet new people. Tired of the same old folks? Interviewing introduces you to a whole new crowd.
- Misery loves company and layoffs often happen in groups. Now you feel less lonely.
- See more Add one
Tips from the trenches:
- Apply for unemployment online right away, then sleep for one full day.
- Go have lunch with people you haven't seen in a while.
- Get a massage.
- Go for a hike - a good view and fresh air remind you there is a world outside the workplace.
- Be better at your job.
- See more Add one
Survival kit contents:(replenish as often as needed)
- The Only Resume and Cover Letter Book You'll Ever Need: 6...
- Blogging Your Way to a Six-Figure Income
- Career Comeback
- Our Emperors Have No Clothes: Incredibly Stupid Things Co...
- See more
- Office Space - Special Edition with Flair (Widescreen Edi...
- Fun with Dick and Jane (DVD)
- Up in the Air (DVD)
- The Big One (DVD)
- See more
- Take This Job & Shove It
- Michael Jackson 25th Anniversary of Thriller
- Chumbawamba - Tubthumping - MP3
- The Who - Won't Get Fooled Again - MP3
Words of Wisdom
It's a recession when your neighbor loses his job; it's a depression when you lose your own. -Harry S Truman
An "acceptable" level of unemployment means that the government economist to whom it is acceptable still has a job. -Anonymous
A man who has no office to go to - I don't care who he is - is a trial of which you can have no conception. -George Bernard Shaw
- How to Survivify: Getting Out of Debt
- How to Survivify: A Nasty Break-Up
- How to Survivify: Being a Facebook Addict
- How to Survivify: A Zombie Attack
- How to Survivify: A Facebook Game Addiction: FarmVille Edition