So you've got a new job. Congratulations! If you thought the job search and the interviews were hard, just wait. The hard part is just starting.
There are a lot of pitfalls to avoid, especially in the first few months. You only have one chance to make a good first impression, so you definitely can't afford to rub a whole bunch of new people the wrong way. And you can only play the "newbie" card so many times, so be careful with all of the office equipment. Nobody will like you if you break the coffee machine.
Look on the bright side:
- Starting at a new company is like starting over in life. You get a clean slate.
- Add one
Tips from the trenches:
- Watch out for office politics and steer cleer of drama. Set yourself up as a trusted neutral party.
- Bribery often helps, so make new friends by keeping a bowl of m&m's on your desk.
- Add one
Survival kit contents:(replenish as often as needed)
- Disaster Proof Your Career: Tactics to Survive, Thrive an...
- Sink or Swim!: New Job. New Boss. 12 Weeks to Get It Right.
- Getting Things Done: The Art of Stress-Free Productivity
- New Girl On the Job: Advice from the Trenches
- See more